Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Christmas in Hawaii. part 1

We made it to Hawaii safe and sound on December 21. This is the first picture of the week, and the first time I met Truman.
James was at work when we got there so we were going to hike Diamond Head and then meet up with him later. But we took so long to actually leave the apartment that James was able to come.
We stopped at this lookout on the way up to take a picture. Truman got to hang out in the sling the whole way.
Sisters.
Then we went to Waimanalo beach. James is good at body surfing.
The water was really cold, but I talked Cass into getting in with me. There was some gross yellow looking stuff on top of the water. This was before we got in because I had mascara everywhere when I got out.
We stopped at the blowhole on the way back and saw some whales making splashes. It was pretty cool. We had plate lunches for dinner that night. The next day was dedicated to the north shore. We stopped at Haleiwa to see the sea turtles. There was also a surfing competition going on when we were there. Here is a picture with all of us and the sea turtle.
We saw quite a few turtles swimming around in the water. I like when they poke their heads out of the water. Me and the sea turtle.Truman is so cute. We then made a stop at Matsumoto's to get some shaved ice. I had the Matsumoto special with ice cream and azuki beans. The beans were weird but kind of good.
Blue Crush anyone?!
We went to Waimea Bay. The waves were pretty big so me and mom only went about ankle deep. But the waves almost knocked us over.
Sadly the jumping rock was closed because of the big waves. I was totally going to jump off if it was open.
We buried James up to his knees. And oddly James did most of the digging and buring. I pretended to help.
Then we grabbed some shrimp at Tony's shrimp shack in Kahuku. I made the wise choice of ordering the coconut shrimp which we already shelled. Cass and James chose the kind with heads and legs and shells. We stopped at Bonzai pipeline. I thought the 5 feet waves were huges, but they were 30 feet on Christmas.
A beautiful sunset.
We sang Christmas carols on the way home. Then had dinner at PF Changs and we were still in our swimming suits.

3 comments:

hillari said...

I like the Blue Crush photo--cute and kind of funny. Sounds like a wicked good time! That's so cool how you get to be right by the turtles on the beach. And I love that picture of you holding Truman! He is cute.

Jolynn said...

Those are some great pictures, Dooze. You might have to share. It's so fun to remember the fun time we had, huh? I'm glad you got to come with us.

cassidy said...

Hey cute pics! You got lots of Truman smiling. I love our Blue Crush photo. Now all we need to do is learn to surf. Ha ha. You should email me that sunset picture...I didn't get one and it's pretty!