Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Basketball

I coached the junior high basketball team in January.  I was over the A team and Coach Chelsea was over the B team.  We had to run practices together because we had to share the small gym.
I was nervous about coaching basketball.  It is a lot different than coaching volleyball, but  I actually really enjoyed coaching basketball.  It was more stressful than volleyball and I did a lot more yelling.  Now I know why dad never sat down during a game!
There is so much to the game and I'm not sure about the strategies of coaching it.  It was a learning experience for sure.  We had to learn defense, offense plays, out of bounds plays, a full court and half court press, and a press break.  Sometimes I wished I had my dad on the bench with me to tell me what to do or when to call a time out.  Also, the other coach was a little scary looking.
This was only our second or third game of the season and we went into double over time!  It was so stressful and was one of the games I wanted dad on the bench!
The score was tied at 19 at the first over time and 23 at the second.
My girls played so hard.
We ended up losing the game by 5 points.
The rest of our season was a lot of fun.  Our teams convinced Coach Chelsea and I to have a lock-in at the school after our last game.  I told Coach Chelsea we could do it if she was willing to stay the whole night because I wasn't.  I left the lock-in around 11, so I could actually get some sleep.
We didn't make it to the playoffs this year.  We lost too many games.  Our worst game was against Vulture Peak, we got creamed by 40 points.  But we practiced and tried to prepare for the next time we played them.  The last game of the season we played Vulture Peak again and lost by 5.  We were so close to beating them!

2 comments:

Jolynn said...

I'm glad you enjoyed coaching. You probably enjoyed coaching more than you enjoyed playing basketball. As I recall, it wasn't your favorite. Too bad you didn't have Dad as a "consultant" on your bench! Sometime it would be fun to come down and watch your teams play.

cassidy said...

How stressful! Seriously, that sounds really hard. You're awesome for doing hard things. It sounds pretty fun, though. It would be rewarding to see the team get better or to see them do well. Good job Dooz!