Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Convocation

Convocation was at 8 am on April 20th.  I was told graduates needed to be at the Fieldhouse by 7.  I arrived shortly after 7, just to find out I had to stand around and wait for an hour.  I could have easily arrived at 7:55 and been totally fine.  The speaker was really good.  I can't remember her name, but she was in the education system for a long time.  I was actually kind of bored during convocation because it took an hour for the speakers and then it took another hour to read out every graduates name.  Here I am shaking the hand of the dean of the McKay school.  I have no idea who he really is, but he said, "Congratulations Alexis" when he shook my hand.  He is handing me my diploma case, but I got my diploma in the mail back in January.
 The Fieldhouse was my home on campus.  I had almost every class for my major in this building.  I also came here to watch lots of BYU volleyball games.
 I spent a lot of time walking up the RB stairs too.  I walked these stairs at least twice a day, sometimes more.  I always thought it would get easier since I was walking up them so much, but it never did!  Jake came to convocation and it was so nice to have him there.
 And of course, mom and dad were there.  I don't know why dad thought it was a good idea to wear a red tie to a BYU graduation though...
 We stopped at the reception afterwards and had some treats.  I ran into some of my professors from my major.  It was nice to talk to them and introduce them to the fam.  We made lunch reservations at Tucano's.  Knowing I would eat way too much, I skipped out on breakfast.
 The food was delicious.  My favorite was maybe the grilled pineapple.  I think I ate a whole pineapple by myself... but really.  I also had a birthday card for a free meal at Tucano's from my old roommate, so my meal was free!
 We got back to Jake's house and we all crashed for a few hours.  I was so tired it was hard to wake up from my nap!  The weather was so nice, we enjoyed playing some games in the yard.
 Jake made this game board and we had fun playing.  I think Jake and dad can claim the real champs of this game, but I beat mom and Liz!
 I played a few round with Chuckles, and he was pretty good from close range!
That night we watched a movie and ate some treats, even though we were still full from the pig out at Tucano's.  The next morning we went to Josh's soccer game.  I don't have any picture of the game, but it was really fun to watch a bunch of 5 year olds play soccer.  Josh would easily get distracted, which was cute.  We all cheered for our Joshie Keel!

3 comments:

hillari said...

Sounds like a really fun day. I love tucanos, and I can't believe how much pineapple you ate! I always hated those rb stairs, I can't imagine having to traverse them multiple times every day. Go Joshie Keel! Sounds cute.

cassidy said...

Looks fun! I'm jealous that you got to eat at Tucano's. The yard game looks fun, and that must have been fun to see Joshie and Charlie again. And Jake and Liz.

Jolynn said...

I thought your convocation was pretty good. Longer than I thought it would be, but still good. That speaker was very entertaining. I can't remember who she was either, but she was a good speaker. It was super fun at Jake and Liz's. It's always fun to get to see family. Tucano's was good, but I ate so much that I almost don't want to ever eat there again. The perfect ending to the weekend was Joshie's soccer game! My word, can you imagine how frustrating it would be to coach those little kids??? But Josh was pretty cute.