Thursday, July 10, 2008

Anatomy and Cadaver Lab

I am currently taking human anatomy with a cadaver lab during the summer term. This class requires a lot of memorization, which can be hard if your not good at memorizing. It is also really fast paced since the term is only 2 months long instead of 4. So far I have done quite well. I have memorized the entire skeleton, all of the muscles in the body, and just started learning the brain and nervous system. In fact I held a brain in my gloved hands today!

So I didn't know what to expect for the first cadaver lab. Now I know just what to expect, so here is what you can expect the next time you happen to be in a cadaver lab:
















This cadaver is nicely covered up, but you can just imagine what is under that sheet. And the cadavers are kept wrapped up when no one is using them. At first I was really creeped out and the smell is pretty gross. But I am sort of used to it now. I still think it smells so I either put lotion on my arm and then smell my arm, or hold my breath when I have to get close.

The human body is so amazing though. Everything works and fits together just perfectly. I can't even describe how cool the body is. It really was divinely created, and I have seen the proof.

So every lab I have to take a quiz... and this quiz is hard. The quiz is 10 questions with a 10 minute time limit. Basically I go in the lab and there are pins with little numbers on them stuck on the muscle or bone I am supposed to name. And I have to spell it correctly to get it right.

Tomorrow I am going to take my midterm for the lecture part of class, and on Wednesday is the midterm for the lab. Both are going to be hard. The lab midterm is set up just like the quiz only with 50 questions and possibly a 50 minute time limit. I will have to make another post of some of the random things I have learn in class.

4 comments:

hillari said...

I can't believe you have to work with dead cadavers! Are those pictures plasiticized, or is that just what they look like? I thought they had skin on them. Good job on a difficult class! I think that was a good class to take over the summer term.

Jolynn said...

I am so proud of you! You are doing such a great job. I don't think I could do it at all. You have the right attitude by thinking of the bodies as marvelous creations of Heavenly Father. I would think that would make it easier, and greatly reduce the creepy factor.

cassidy said...

Yeah, I was surprised that they don't have skin...But I guess what's the point when you're studying the insides.

Good luck on your midterms! They sound super hard, but it sounds like you are studying and memorizing a lot.

You and James will have to talk about brains and stuff...he loves talking to people who know about brain anatomy.

Lexi said...

hill. yes that is what they look like but maybe a little more brown/tan colored. weird huh.

cass. i guess james and i will have to talk about brains sometime. i am learning all about it.