Monday, February 6, 2012

Hawaii again

Mom and dad came to Hawaii the second week I was there. Right after they got in, we went on a hike and to the beach.
We did the Makapu'u lighthouse hike.
Truman was really good on the hike.
The hike is paved the whole way and isn't much of a hike, but it is always really pretty at the top with the lighthouse. But it was really windy at the top too.
Mom and I almost had matching coverup dresses.
Here we are coming back down. You can see where we went in the background. On the way back down I saw my friend Kasey. He was in my major at BYU, but didn't actually end up talking to him.
We went to Waikiki to go to the beach, which was possibly called Queen's beach. Since it was kind of windy and cold, I was the only one that would swim with Tru. Truman loves swimming and thinks he is a good swimmer.
Cassidy and mom stayed wrapped up in towels the whole time we were there.
Truman and I played with his buckets and shovels. A family who was visiting Hawaii gave him 2 buckets and lots of shovels to add to his collection because they were flying back that day.
That night we ate at Duke's so we could have hula pie. We ate at a table right by the beach which was fun.
The next day we went to Pearl Harbor. We toured the USS Bowfin, a submarine that is there. We had to take turns touring because Truman wasn't allowed on. I can't believe how little the beds were.
But at least there was a kitchen aid in the kitchen.
I would never be able to live on a submarine, it was just to little and the bathrooms were creepy.
After the sub tour we went to the USS Arizona memorial.
It is really sad to see the list of names of all the sailors who died on the Arizona.
The water was pretty choppy so we weren't able to see much of the ship. However, we did see oil that still leaks out into the water.
The next day we went to Ko Olina and had our luau that night. I really like this beach/lagoon.
The hotel that is on the beach has some cool shark and fish ponds.
We enjoyed seeing all the sharks and fish.
We stopped to see the black pearl from Pirates on the way to the luau.
We went to Germaine's Luau instead of the Polynesian Cultural Center this time. Given the option again, I would choose the PCC. The luau was kind of weird. We got tickets for free drinks and had fresh pineapple at the table before it started.
There was a pretty sunset not far from our table.
There was a drawing for prizes, and all you had to do was fill out a little card. James insisted that we fill them out and practically forced us to do it. And it was totally worth it when dad won a major award! He won a lei, hat, and drink cup.
We went shopping at the mall the next morning before we went to the beach so mom could get a new swim suit. For lunch we stopped at the Giovanni shrimp truck. It was pretty good, but I was a little grossed out about pulling off the little legs.
We went to the north shore to Waimea Bay. And as we were walking along the beach, I heard my name called out. It was Lexie!
Lexie and Seth were in Hawaii too, so it was fun to hang out with them. We had fun swimming in the big waves and trying to take a jumping picture.
And I had to put this picture because we were totally caught off guard by this wave crashing into us. It was pretty funny.
After the beach we went to Matsumoto's in Haleiwa for some shave ice.
I love coconut, so I had coconut and creamy coconut flavors on mine. I was a bit disappointed that I forgot to get ice cream and azuki beans this time.
The rest of Hawaii to be continued...

4 comments:

Jolynn said...

Nice post Dooze. I should just copy the whole thing and post it on mine. Except that I'm not even done with summer yet......... Hawaii was so fun! I think Ko'Olina is my fav beach there. And I miss little Tru. He's super cute. You were so nice to chase him around and help take care of him. Don't you just want to go back?

christensen said...

I was laughing out loud at work when I saw the picture of us when we were caught off gaurd by the wave! So funny! I was glad we got to see you at the beach that day, and sad we didn't get together again.

cassidy said...

Ko'Olina is my fave too! That was a super fun day. I love all of your pics! I wish I wasn't so sick while you guys were here.

That's so fun that you got to see Lexie while you were here too!

hillari said...

I can't believe there will be more of Hawaii! Looks super fun. I like the picture of you holding Truman at that shark place. He is so cute! Good thing I get to go see him in a couple of days!